Does deleting old listener and adding a new listener enough?

All posts relating to Oracle database administration.

Moderator: Tim...

Does deleting old listener and adding a new listener enough?

Postby kytemaniac » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:51 am

with reference to article id 837570.1

Previous versions of the listener are not supported for use with an Oracle Database 11g Release 2 (11.2) database. However, it is possible to use the new version of the listener with previous versions of Oracle Databases.
If you are upgrading from 9i or upgrading manually without using DBUA, run Oracle Net Configuration Assistant before upgrading the Oracle RAC database.

This is a two-step option.
You must first run Oracle Net Configuration Assistant from the old Oracle Home to remove the old listener.
- Invoke the Netca
- Choose the configuration you want to do ==> Choose Listener Configuration
- Select what you want to do ==> Delete
- Select the listener you want to delete .

Then you must run Oracle Net Configuration Assistant again from the new Oracle Database 11g Release 2 (11.2) Home to create a new listener.

- Invoke the Netca
- Choose the configuration you want to do ==> Choose Listener Configuration
- Select what you want to do ==> Add
- Provide the detail that is required to configure the listener.

You must remove the old listener before creating a new one. If you attempt to create a new listener from the new Oracle Home first, and use the same name and port as the old listener, then Oracle Net Configuration Assistant returns an error.

in step 23 (which is under preparing database for upgrade), we delete the listener in the old $ORACLE_HOME and we create a new listener in the new $ORACLE_HOME.

does this start actually start the new listener or just configured the listener.ora in the new $ORACLE_HOME

in step 29, it mentioned

Modify the listener.ora file.

For the upgraded instance(s) modify the ORACLE_HOME parameter to point to the new ORACLE_HOME. Start the listener.

modify the listener.ora, didn't we already configured or add a new listener in step 23? if yes, i.e. already configured in step 23, then I do not want to question any more. but if we need to configure the listener again, can someone enlighten me why we need to reconfigure again?

Does deleting old listener and adding a new listener enough for the upgrade?

thanks a lot!
kytemaniac

Re: Does deleting old listener and adding a new listener eno

Postby Tim... » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:50 am

Hi.

Provided you have a listener running in the new ORACLE_HOME with the configuration you are happy with, doing any "reconfigure" is unnecessary.

The point is, you can not use an older version of the listener to listen to a newer version of the database.

Cheers

Tim...
Tim...
Oracle ACE Director
Oracle ACE of the Year 2006 - Oracle Magazine Editors Choice Awards
OakTable Member
OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
OCP Advanced PL/SQL Developer
Oracle Database: SQL Certified Expert
My website: http://www.oracle-base.com
My blog: http://www.oracle-base.com/blog
Tim...