Info about ASM

Questions relating to Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) and Clusterware.

Moderator: Tim...

Info about ASM

Postby sivakumarocp » Mon May 27, 2013 3:17 am

Hi Tim,

A month ago I get into new environment, here they are using Oracle 11g Enterprise Edition and they kept all their files in Filesystem! instead of ASM.
and they are experiencing I/O issues. After I studied about the environment for a couple of days I decided to suggest them to move for ASM.

when I give a proposal to move database to ASM storage in what way should I explain them.

I had worked on many migration project from Filesystem to ASM. but I never interact with my clients by giving these kind of propoal.

Kindly guide me.
Regards
Sivakumar.A
www.sivakumardba.com
sivakumarocp
Advisor

Re: Info about ASM

Postby Tim... » Mon May 27, 2013 7:04 am

Hi.

Well I guess the only sensible thing to discuss is why you think it will improve on what they've got. You should provide them with facts:

- What their disk access times (serial and random access) are now. What you believe they will be after the move to ASM. You need to test this. There is no point moving to ASM if it doesn't improve things.
- What managerial differences there will be. This can be important. Often SAN administrators can not see that ASM LUNs are in use from their tools, so they deallocate them. Your storage guys need to know what they are doing if you move to ASM, or things will get screwed up.

If you don't know or understand these issues, then really you shouldn't be changing things. If the I/O problems are due to issues on the storage, then you may get exactly the same issues when that storage is presented to ASM. I suggest you bottom out the problem, before attempting a change in the hope that it will fix some mystery storage issue.

Cheers

Tim...
Tim...
Oracle ACE Director
Oracle ACE of the Year 2006 - Oracle Magazine Editors Choice Awards
OakTable Member
OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
OCP Advanced PL/SQL Developer
Oracle Database: SQL Certified Expert
My website: http://www.oracle-base.com
My blog: http://www.oracle-base.com/blog
Tim...